Any organization is the sum of its people and employees are its main spokespeople. Human capital is our most valued asset and so, hiring the right person, who shares the same values and core principles as Incubyte is our biggest imperative.
To do this, we handle our own hiring and like to take our time evaluating all aspects of a candidate's persona before we make them a part of our team. Our interview process is set up to help us understand the breadth and depth of a candidate's technical expertise, as well as more intangible things like values and principles. The latter also being an intrinsic screening criterion, both during the hiring process as well as after joining, we hold our people to very high personal values. Integrity, honesty and accountability, among others are non negotiable and we try to gauge each throughout the interview process.
The end-to-end process has five steps:
1. Coding Test: Candidates take an online coding test and send us a link to their Git repo. The instructions are simple…they need to code up the problem using Test Driven Development. Our goals at this stage are to a) find candidates who invest their time in taking our hiring test, and so are interested in the work we do; and b) evaluate their thought process, simplicity of solution and clarity of thought.
2. Initial Call: This is usually a 30-minute call with our recruitment team for us to get to know each other and see if our values and interests align. We go through past experiences; explain the role and gauge where their interests lie. At this stage, we are more interested in the mindset and understanding the criteria that are important for the candidate, in work and in life! We are also happy to answer any and every question that the candidate might have for us.
3. Technical Discussion: Next up is a technical/functional conversation with one of our Craftspeople. The goal here is for us to get a better understanding of technical skills and a glimpse into their developer persona. This is a great opportunity for the candidate to ask questions and know more about the Company from people who are actually living the culture.
4. Live Coding Session: A remote programming session with one (or more) of our Craftspeople, with the choice of IDE and tooling left to the candidate. In this round, we tackle a coding kata together, to help us deep dive into their coding and software design skills, their inclination and ability to pair and their willingness for feedback. This is also a really good platform for candidates to point us to snippets of code or past work they’ve done that really showcase their skills.
5. The Finale: This is a call with the founders to determine alignment in attitude and work philosophy. This may also include a short coding session and some technical questions. It is mostly an open ended casual conversation to see if we like each other and our expectations are aligned.
At the end, if there is a unanimous thumbs up from everyone involved, the candidate is now a colleague and the onboarding process begins!
Having said that, its not easy to find the right people with the high technical, personal and cultural values that we hold oh, so dear! Our hiring ratio is less than 0.20% of people we talk to so, dont feel disheartened. We always give constructive feedback and are more than happy to talk to a candidate again once they have honed their skills!
Our process is hard and time-consuming, but we are invested in it, are constantly looking to improve it, and do whatever it takes to find that person, who will help us learn, grow, become smarter together.